I listened to Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto, and Joao Gilberto’s recording of “The Girl from Ipanema” for the better part of an hour, and I was delighted by the results.  On my first listening, I tried to remain neutral and listen to the music without trying to pick anything out, as a sort of baseline test.  In the subsequent nine listenings, I noticed more and more, like subtle countermelodies and interesting devices used in the tenor saxophone solo. At first, I felt that the sax solo was a little lackluster, but I came to appreciate the voice leading and harmonic choices through the chord changes.  I felt as time went on that I was feeling the music more and more, and only on my eighth or nineth listening I started to appreciate the groove laid out by the rhythm section. There is one chord change in the guitar however that continues to perplex me, as it seems like the guitarist missed the change and moved late, but I imagine this could have been intentional to add to the laid back feel of the Latin chart.