Music in 2020 often acts as a background or soundtrack for the listener’s life. As such, music is often appreciated only for what is being perceived at the superficial level. Repeated listening can however give the listener a deeper understanding of the music they are listening to – be it a subtle rhythm or countermelody they did not perceive at first, or maybe even a better understanding of what the music may be trying to express.  In the fast-paced society in which we lived pre-Covid, there was not much time to sit down and fully appreciate music. With many people working from home during the pandemic, commute times have been eliminated, creating time for alternate activities.  I believe a good use of the time created by a lack of commute could be put to good use for music appreciation through repeated listening. The act of listening to music can be incredibly meditative and even eye opening.  After actively listening to a piece of music for an extended period of time, the listener can immerse themself completely in the music and reflect about what they discovered when it has come to pass. During my forty minute listening of Joao Gilberto’s recording of “The Girl from Ipanema”, I found myself completely lost in the sound – taken by the groove. Every repetition was different in my mind, seeking out something different every time. When I had finished, not only had I peeled back the many layers of the harmonically complicated song, but I felt rejuvenated, like I had just had a spectacular nap. Music can do much more than simply soothe the listener, but repeated listening can be eye-opening in the same way that learning a language can change the way you think. Music that falls outside of what one is familiar with can often elicit an uncomfortable feeling in the listener. Repeated listening to songs we DON’T like are more important than repeated listening to songs we do like.  If we only listen to music that we are familiar and comfortable with, then our perception of music remains narrow, naïve and ignorant. Only when we possess the tools required to analyze the music we listen to, can we begin to draw conclusions about it.  Even if in the end our perception of a piece of music or genre remains unchanged, the listener will understand what about it they dislike and progress has been made.